Old 08-27-09, 10:19 PM
halamadrid

Bikes: Takara advantage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuning up an old bike!

Hey guys! Im new on here and this is my first post. I just recently started riding a bicycle that was in my garage for a while and I had received it from someone else and so on... The bike is great, in my opinion. I've never own a ummm road bike, always just 100$ bikes from wal mart and such (mountain bike things). Im a novice/intermediate mechanic and I would like to do some repairs on this bike. It is a TAKARA Advantage. I dont know how old it is but I read that they were big in the 80's? anyway, its rough in a few areas. Lots of dirt all over the gears (which are shimano), the brakes are grabbing loosely, the tire tread is a little thin, and the real problem I want to try and fix is the umm derailer I think? The changer on the left is supposed to move that thing to change the front gears(by the pedals) up to the bigger plate... and the thing that is supposed to be pushing the chain up and down is holding it in the down position, and if i change the gear manually, then it rattles because it rubs up against the derailer (if thats what its called?). I cant tell exactly whats wrong with it except that the cable going to it is frayed badly and doesnt even move the thing when I pull it. Will someone help me with this issue or maybe answer some of my new bicycle questions?? im really excited