View Single Post
Old 08-29-09, 08:42 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmo
I almost bought the Lambo ....
I think you went the right way, cause for the price of a Lambo, (if you're patient), you can find a quality used bike for a dollar or two more. Just found a barely ridden Trek T200 for a friend for $600, and that was with a "child stoker kit" which he'll sell off and get about $100 back! Two years ago I bought a Santana Rio in perfect condition for $700 and did what you want to do .... changed it to drops and brifters mostly out of the parts bin, but I didn't change out the wheels. We just ran 26 X 1 or 26 X 1 1/8 tires on it, which are basically the same widths most tandem teams run for smooth road riding anyway.

On the brifters, I personally wouldn't want to put any money into 7 speed stuff at all. I ride brifters on all my bikes as well, and love them for the convenience. But I'd go with regular brake levers and bar end shifters on this project since the bar ends will shift anything in friction mode, the levers/bar end combination is much cheaper, and WAAAY easier to find used. (Plus, it's just plain tough to find 7 speed stuff that still works! There is an RSX 3X7 front brifter on eBay now, though, if you're interested!)

Sounds like you're having fun! Go for it!
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike