Old 08-29-09, 04:17 PM
RyanML

Bikes: Trek 820 with slicks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first metric century and other thoughts...

I didn't realized I did it till I got home and my computer read 67.3 miles, 15.8mph average speed, 4:16 ride time (5 hours including stops). I even hit a new max speed on the flats at 33.2 mph. My personal best before then was 54 miles (last weekend). I planned on 60 miles today so I rode out 30 miles and turned around so I had no choice but to do the 60 . I felt good as I was approaching home so I took a little scenic side path for a couple miles. I've only been riding for about 2 months and the human body is an amazing machine. Not saying MY body in particular but the way God designed it is truly remarkable. I am gaining by leaps and bounds and I think I have crossed the point of bicycle addiction. I started at 328 pounds and I am down to about 300# now and feeling great.

So, advice...

I have an old Trek 820 MTB with road tires and a brooks B17 and it rides great. It is also my commuter bike and has fenders, etc. How much improvement in time/distance would there be if I upgraded to an actual road bike? I love the way my current bike is geared though. I thought maybe I should drop more weight, maybe set a goal to get a real road bike at 250#.

And physically...of course I got the sore butt...after 20 miles I stopped for a min, then once about every 10 miles for a min. or two and when I got back on the bike it felt better for a bit. It is better, however, than my last seat which was a brooks gel seat. Does it just need more time to break in? Should I buy some padded cycling pants and are they worth it? Using compression shorts underneath mesh shorts at the moment and it seems comfortable, but on a 67 mile ride I found it's rough on the old tush. Also, I have a bum left knee from an old injury and it tends to get sore (pulled my ACL/MCL/PCL). Do knee wraps help with this problem when cycling or will it just make my legs hot?

Thanks