Old 03-06-05, 05:56 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TysonB
Guys, I KNOW my exercise will NOT help my odds in the crapshoot of life. We all finally roll craps, that's a 100% certainty. I believe and hope that exercise leads to a healthier longer life, but I don't really count on it, or for that matter really even care. I just got in from a hard ride in a blustery wind . . . and enjoyed every second of it, pain sweat and all. Made me know I was alive and part of God's great world. Nice scenary and friendship.

That's why I am addicted to this stuff. Been that way 40 years now.

Tyson
Which is a great point. My fiance's husband was 54 years old when he died. He was an outstanding athlete, and had many triathalons to his credit. He worked out regularly. Unfortunately, while doing his swimming workout one day, he suffered cardiac arrest and died at the pool. As an aside, my fiance started a group that puts defibrillators in public places and police cars (including of course the pool in which he died). The autopsy showed no blockage whatsoever in his arteries - he had been training since early in life. He did, however, have something many people are not even aware of - LDL pattern B, which can lead to sudden cardiac arrest. Her pro triathalete son also has it, and is being carefully watched by a cardiologist.

Bottom line: The best laid plans, and the best shape often lose out to our genetic mapping.