Old 08-31-09, 08:29 PM
kccommuter

Bikes: '10 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Nexus 8 IGH and Winter Shifting Issues

Today was cool here in WI and got me thinking about what's coming. I'm a year round commuter in Wisconsin and got a new bike with a Shimano Nexus 8 IGH in March. I've put 2000 miles on it and have been very happy with it. However, when I first got it, temps were in the teens and I experienced some days when I could not shift gears. I attributed it to moisture condensing in the cable housing. Took it in to the LBS and they adjusted so the yellow dots lined up in 4th and I was good to go.

I would be very interested to hear from folks in the Midwest or other cold climates that are commuting with the Nexus 8 in winter. Please share your experience and what you found that works. I have read a number of posts and see conflicting information, but not too many with actual experience at cold temps (from 15 Deg F down to -20 Deg F).

I am considering buying the Gore RideOn Sealed Low Friction System - it is pricey, but if it works, its worth it. But if there is a fundamental issue with the Nexus 8 at low temps, that would be very good to know.

Thanks