View Single Post
Old 09-01-09, 06:04 AM
Nigeyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also hate cycling in the rain, or when there is the possibility of ice on the road or trail (I chicken out). When it's raining outside, I just don't cycle unless I have to -I mean, why do something you don't enjoy? That's a good way to squeeze all the pleasure out of a hobby -so don't feel bad! Since I grew up in England (second only to Ireland for the rain, eh?) I think my basic dislike of rain comes from this.

Things that have kept me going have been:

-varying cycling activities e.g. I go road riding, and soon I'll be going off roading since it's getting a little chillier. I overheat doing off road stuff in the summer!
-varying exercise. Find something else to do other than cycling. I run (and this is the strange bit, I don't mind running in the rain! I just don't know why). Or find an activity you can do indoors (rock climbing). What about canoeing, hiking, orienteering, etc? As staehpj1 says, it helps keep you fresh.
-find a road or trail you've never been on, or do a well known ride backwards (sounds silly but it works, though the downside to this is that usually my rides are all clockwise to avoid having to take more dangerous left turns). Of course, this option doesn't negate the issue of RAIN!

I'd also add, if you don't cycle, so what? Everyone needs a break now and again. If you are worried about fitness though -and even if you are not -I'd definitely recommend trying to find another activity. Sadly, your financial resources can come into play for this one oftentimes.

While I can't say rain has made me feel really blue when it comes to cycling, familiarity has. It's pretty much at the stage for me where I live that I've been on every reasonable cycling road in about a 10-15 mile radius, and most of the roads in a 30 mile radius. It's sometimes very hard for me to go cycling when I'm faced with the same old same old roads.....

edit: one other thing, not so much to get you cycling now, but for something to look forward to -plan a tour now. Check out all your options. Buy a map. Plan a route. If you can afford it, upgrade your equipment with a little something so you look forward to using it.