View Single Post
Old 09-01-09, 08:28 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Although I don't mind scratching my own skewers, I would be pretty upset if someone got my expensive, hard-bought skewers. But if I'm frantically changing a wheel and toss my wheel onto the pavement and scratch the thing, fine. I never clamp them in the trainer though, even before trainers came with specific skewers for trainers. I'd find an old beat up all-steel skewer for the trainer.

It's like my car - rock chips and other road hazards I figure are my fault or at least just a fact of driving, something unavoidable. But a ding in a parking lot makes me upset - it means someone next to me slammed their door into my car, something totally preventable. (This on the nice car; with the beat up car I'll park really close to extremely poorly parked cars. heh. The way it is now, if someone took a hammer to the body you wouldn't be able to tell which bits were hit with the hammer.)

The skewer is just the surface, the principle of the matter.

The unmitigated carelessness of the fitter astonishes me. If the owner doesn't do anything about the fitter's ill habits, I would stay away from the shop. If they're that careless with your equipment, it indicates they don't give a flying **** about you.

Hell, print out this post and hand it to the owner. And the fitter.

lol I just thought of something. Other shops in the area must get new customers all the time. They look at the rear skewer, see the distinctive scratch marks.

"So, you get your bike at WeScratchEmUp Bikes?"
"Yeah, how'd you know?"
"Um... lucky guess."

Include the above in the printout too

cdr