View Single Post
Old 09-02-09, 06:38 PM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PartyPack
Hey Octopus, what sort of Fixie are you riding? I'd love to see a photo of how you set you rigs up.
The bike is an IRO Jamie Roy, a 59cm aluminum frame. FSA Vigorelli cranks (175mm). I've been running 49x18 on brevets and that's probably what I'll attempt the LC on. (1/8" EAI cog, of course!) Super8 carbon fork; Easton EA30 bars; Cane Creek levers and SCR-3L caliper brakes. The wheels are Deep Vs mated to Phil Wood high-flange track hubs... both are laced three-cross with Wheelsmith DB14 spokes and brass nipples. Peter White built them and they're awesome wheels. The rear is a flip-flop, fixed/free, though I've not run a freewheel on it and I won't do so, either, on the Last Chance. I'm running Conti 4000S tires (much better wear than the 4000).

I'll dig around for photos of the bike, but here's a viddy from a fellow BF member and GRR ancien, which shows the bike step up for a 1200K and in action, starting at 6:07 (I highly recommend the whole video, which is outstanding).

I travel pretty light. Everything goes in pockets or a Caradice SuperC bag. With three bag drops (two, but you see one of them twice) and predictable (if not good) weather, there's no need to travel heavy. I run a Niterider Moab light, which easily runs through a full night and completely recharges in 4 hours. I'll throw the charger in the Atwood bag and partially charge it the two times I'm there there. We've got a good amount of moonlight on the LC this year, so if it's clear I can run the LED function, or my secondary Cateye without trouble.