Old 09-03-09, 02:17 PM
MWPdx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1...
While I definitely appreciate what they're trying to do, I think there are gonna be a LOT of problems w/ it.

Most of the people I've seen using the bike part of this thing have been cars (both parked and driving). But last time I went by there, it hadn't officially opened or whatever so we'll see. I think once people start parking on the outside, other people will 'get it'.

That being said, I think a lot of people won't 'get it', at least not at first. I think this is gonna lead to all kinds of problems. Angry riders 'cause there's a car where the bikes are supposed to go, angry driver 'cause bike people are yelling at him or he's getting a ticket/towed/whatever, angry cops 'cause they have to deal with confused riders and drivers...etc.

Those, I think, will both get better over time but it also turns Broadway from a 3 lane road to 2 lane road. From what I can tell, Broadway needs one less lane like it needs a hole in the head (does Broadway have a head? Does that analogy/metaphor still make since if Broadway doesn't have a head?). I know this is a bike website but still... angry drivers are s**ty drivers and if you think they're pissed about spending 30 more seconds in traffic, wait 'til they find out it's 'because of stupid bikes'.

But... I'm kind of a cynical pessimist when it comes to this kind of thing. Hopefully it works out great and people (myself included) figure it out quickly.