Old 09-03-09, 03:44 PM
vengeful_lemon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
yes, just poured in a few capfuls, quite frankly, I was so fed up with the im9, nothing could have made it worse.

Had a slight amount of seepage/weepage for the first 100 miles, now it's fine. The hub is holding oil so if the grease is displaced, the oil bath has replaced it.

If this hub dies, so be it. I wasn't going to tolerate its bad performance anymore so I added ATF as a final attempt to love this hunk of junk.

yes, it's running in an oilbath. I might add another fact, my GM 4 speed automatic trans runs without any grease in an oil bath...500lbs*ft of torque....

Shifts much better. I've since put a couple thousand miles on the hub, it's starting to grow on me.

Not interested in a "proper oil port", I prefer to pull the guts and soak them in cleaner, then oil bath. Right now there's no source for the disposable dust cap on the drive side of the hub. Can't pull the guts until SRAM makes those available....

I had this hub running on oil for a ~3 months, as soon as I can source a disposable dustcap I'll pull the guts and decide on a time period for maintanince. I had several quarts of synthetic ATF left over from my hod rodding days, I decided to use some up. I do like synthetic lubes, much better cold weather performance.

thank you for the info - you seem pretty knowledgeable about this hub and its shortcomings.
can you tell me more about the problems you had with it that caused you to dislike it, and to what extent the oil treatment improved them? It sounds like you had shifting problems - do you mean that the hub was slow to engage your new gear after making a shift?
Have you had any problems other than that?
Was that problem partially solved by the oil treatment?
When you soak a hub's internals in "cleaner" before an oil soak, you use some sort of degreaser? Can you tell us more about that?

thank you again.