Old 09-04-09, 02:36 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay D
Great review! When shopping for my first commuter bike I tested out both a Specialized Sirrus and a Tricross. Because I was fairly new to road biking I choose the Sirrus because it felt more like my old Specialized Hardrock that I road in high school. Hindsight I should have got the Tricross instead. I hope you enjoy the bike!
I was going to test ride a Sirrus but instead I test rode a Marin Lucas Valley (similar concept, but I was gettting a great price on it). It was good but I wasn't sure I'd get accustomed to the flat bars, which were also too wide for me (I know they can be shortened, but they'd still be flat).

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Why not try the Tricross with the Allez wheels? It wouldn't cost you anything but the time to switch the wheels and adjust the brakes, and it would definitively answer the question about how much the tires are contributing to things like slowness and comfort.

I love my cross bike (not a Tricross), but I haven't ever ridden a road race bike, so I'm curious about the comparison.

I feel obliged to note that cyclocross bikes are, by definition, race bikes. They just aren't road race bikes. You should try out cyclocross racing. It will help you develop a new appreciation for your Tricross. I know there were times last year where I just stared at my bike in admiration of what it was able to do.
Yeah I might give the Aksiums from the Allez a shot on the Tricross. We'll see. I doubt I'll do any CX racing, just lack of time. Althogh I dont mind mud, I just dont like spending time cleaning up afterwards. I prefer my exercise as clean as possible

Originally Posted by meanwhile
I'd just change the tyres. The stock tyres on the Tricross are notoriously slow and it's not because of their width but the tyre compound used and it's thickness. Drop the cash on some Marathon Supremes and the bike will feel like an anchor has been taken off the back. You won't lose anything in comfort - it should go up - or puncture resistance. Supremes *are* pricey, but they're durable too.

I'd also change the stock pads for Kool Stop Salmons, especially if this is your bad weather bike, and read Sheldon Brown's article on cantilever tweaking. I think you'll find that your Tricross is much more personable when you've fixed it's most notorious shortcomings this way.

Good - very thoughtful - review.
I've been researching tires and Marathon Supremes will be a very early upgrade. Probably go for 28mm. Also I was thinking of trying 25mm tires like someone else mentioned. This way, if I didn't like the 25mm on the tricross, atleast they'd fit on my Allez.

Originally Posted by Banzai
You bought the Tricross to be a utility bike, and it seems that most of the negative things you have to say in this review are that it's a utility bike...
LOL! Yeah yeah I know! When I test rode the Allez, I was immediately hooked. With the Tricross, I found no such immediate love.