tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by artesc
they might as well be. instead of using a standard size which can easily be replaced on the user's end with cheap, quality components, they opt to use an oversized bottom bracket shell to accommodate the eccentric bottom bracket which are more expensive than their competitors with no increase in quality...you're basically paying for the "convenience" of eccentricity.

where is the win in all this?
Incorrect. I have the Steelwool Tweed frame that I built up as an 8 speed Alfine drop bar IGH bike. The BB eccentric insert takes virtually any standard cartridge BB. They actually also offer a optional insert idealized to fit external bearing BBs too. I used a Phil Wood BB in building up my bike.

Vertical dropouts have the advantage of guaranteeing that the rear wheel goes in straight and there is no chance of one side slipping forward under chain tension when riding. As disc brake mounts are included also no need to readjust disc caliper position when tensioning the chain as with some horizontal dropout frame designs.

As for quality the Tweed uses Tange Prestige butted chrome moly tubing and is a lugged frame at the head tube and seat tube top areas. I find it good looking. Good paint quality. It is actually a Taiwan made frame so probably similar quality to Surly and Salsa frames. I believe Steelwool's true custom frames are Canadian made.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/