Old 09-04-09, 06:02 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with the frame or fork, though I initially had the same suspicion. The closeup of the shifters doesn't show any sign of paint rippling or cracking immediately behind the headlug that is indicative of frame damage. The difference in the angle of the front fork appears to be due to the front wheel being turned slightly towards the camera, which is readily apparent in the shadows.

+1 to it being a boom era, Atala Grand Prix with replacement rear deraileeur. (Note; The ad is incorrect. It was Grand Prix, not Gran Prix) These were mid-range bicycles and real eye candy with all the chrome. Unfortunately the head lugs and crown appear to quite heavily rusted and I don't think they'll clean up well. The Campagnolo Nuovo Valentino derailleurs left something to be desired and a SunTour replacement is not a surprise. The best feature of the bicycle is the wheelset. Campagnolo Tipo hubs laced to Fiamme aluminum clinchers made a nice wheelset.

If you live in a high price market, a restoration may be warranted, but I suspect there is more work than you anticipate.