roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by minachan
I do go on Flatbush, but only on that stretch between Eastern Parkway and Empire Boulevard. Although it's a very dangerous street and all, ironically it's not one of the ones I had in mind in the previous post, because (THANK GOD!!!) there are no people stupid enough to go the wrong way on it. If there ever were, I swear to God, they would be seriously clotheslined or something.

I'm talking about streets like Ocean Avenue, Nostrand Avenue, and a few others. I guess you could count Bedford Avenue as well. The last time I came across a salmon it was on Nostrand. I totally lost it, especially when, in seeing that I wasn't going anywhere, he started weaving this way and that in a panic to avoid me. I just screamed at him, lol.... It was like, hey, if you're gonna be a badass and ride the wrong way in heavy traffic at least have proper reaction time (geeeez)!

But as I said, don't anyone follow my lead. I'm not a nice person and I don't want to encourage anyone to be as mean as me. Besides, I was very angry that day, because it was my first time *really* dealing with pedestrians. Besides, being mean doesn't really teach them anything. The best thing to do is to just unwaver in your path. Look forward, ignore, put on a poker face, and keep going straight. When they realize that THEY'RE the ones that are going to have to move out of YOUR way, they'll learn that they don't "own" the road and can't do whatever they want to do at the expense of other cyclists. They might also learn WHY it's dangerous to ride like that.

I don't know if there is a signal. Even if there were, I don't think any sign of communication will work, because salmons strike me as having a sense of entitlement, where they wouldn't care. Even if you signal them, they might just ignore it. They're sort of like the pedestrians in Times Square or Chinatown who casually walk down a bike lane 3 abreast with their backs turned toward traffic and will literally ignore your bell or shouts. With people like that, it's not enough sometimes to give them the common courtesy of signaling. You gotta take drastic measures sometimes so they get the hint: that they can't just go out there and do whatever they want and make everyone accomodate them. Not only because it's discourteous, but because it's dangerous.
Riding in between the lanes on the major avenues are "salmon" free and since most motorists are more aware when switching lanes I feel safer and have never had an instance where someone cut me off if I was in their sideview mirror's view. I like seeing lots of people on bikes but there sure are some muppets out there who ride really carelessly. I could understand if 6th avenue had the only bike lane in Manhattan but since it isn't there's no excuse. The few times I ride on bike lanes I'm quickly reminded as to why I don't like them at all.