Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonechilling
You guys can pretend all you want that you can comfortably ride a Nitto track drop on the road for extended periods, but anyone with even a passing familiarity with human anatomy knows that you're only fooling yourself, and perhaps ignoring the obvious signals that you're harming yourself.
I would like to know what are the "obvious" signals, I ought to be looking for. For example, in the case of running, I would be looking for scratchy knee caps for one. As far as I can find from reading books and posts, I ought to be looking for ...

1. Pressure on your posterior: pelvis bone should be "standing" closed to vertical.
2. Leg positions: knees should not be beyond pedal axles when under load.
3. Knee conditions: ought to move smoothly; no clicks or sanding of any sorts.
4. Palm pressure: ought to be lightly pressed if at all. look for numbness.
5. Arm conditions: bar ought be held lightly. (fatigue on extensor muscles, I found that one out myself. )
6. Stomach / back muscle fatigue: usually don't occur unless riding posture is screwed. It could happen when tired or dehydrated. (aww! I learned the latter thru experience.)
7. Keep hydrated. ... nearly forgot that one.

Anything else? I think wrist / elbow problems shouldn't arise before you feel some form of muscle fatigues. So I look for that, but I only had sore extensor muscles (not flexor or any muscles beyond my elbow joint) when I was holding bar real tight. I solved that problem real quick.

I know spinal column is extremely difficult to see problems prior to actually seeing it on X-rays. But you know we ain't Egyptians; we don't lift any stones. Little bumps here and there ain't no crushing punch. (Well, I stick to smooth road.)

As for palm pressure, using a track drop(roof) put pressure between thumb and first joint of index finger, fleshy muscular area under thumb (thenar muscle?), fleshy muscular area around lower palm. I periodically move around the pressed zone around between these area to avoid continually stressing certain region as I am told. I have never experience any numbness or anything relating to such problems. I have been looking out particularly for ulner nerve just beyond wrist for any compression as it is well known. However, all I have ever experienced is a raw skin primarily because I used rough bar tapes on bare hands.

Anything I have missed?

T