View Single Post
Old 09-07-09, 06:21 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knobster
How about telling us what you're planning on using it for first. How much your budget is also.
fair enough....

I'm planning on using it to commute to/from work, as well as going on some longer rides. I am not planning on competing at this point, although I wouldn't say it is out of the question. I'm a little bit bigger, 5'10 & 230lb I have trouble finding motivation to go for a run, but I am much more inclined to go for a bike ride. So I am looking at it as a means of getting fit as well. I don't plan on doing too much off roading but I wouldn't want to be limited to pavement only with a dedicated roadbike. I come from a mountain bike, and have never had a road-style bike. my high end is 1400-1500 Cdn, although I have been looking at some bikes in the 1200 range.
I was talking to a guy at one of the local shops, and he seemed to suggest staying away from the Kona, and suggested that the specialized was a better frame.

I believe the Specialized Tricross Sport was $1450 or there abouts, and the Kona JTS was 1399 for the 2009 model. so pretty close in price. if what he says is true and the specialized is the higher end frame, but with lower components... do you go for the Better frame, with lesser components, or the better components with the lesser frame? Keeping in mind, that if I got the specialized it would cost more to ugrade to the 105 component set, than to strip the components from the JTS, and build up a new frame... should I go with the JTS and do that if I ever have problems with the frame?

thanks!