View Single Post
Old 09-11-09, 12:16 AM
GrayJay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
OK, so this thread has been quite for 1+ year but I am a new bikeforums member so want to show off my similar Atala Record Professional.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L-k5O

I have owned it for about 18 years, bought it back while I was in college and was a fairly serious road racer with a stable of then "modern" road bikes. I wanted to give cyclocross a try and found this Atala for sale for around $200 and though it would make a decent cross bike with its relaxed geometry and ample wheel clearance. It still had mostof the original campy record components when I aquired it, most noticeably was missing the original wheelset and the BB had been replaced with a sealed phil wood BB. I had no real idea of the age of the bike at the time and it was definitly not particulary pretty, lots of rust present on the exposed chrome. I made a few additional component changes to make it more suitable for cyclocross and actually placed 2nd on it at TX state cyclocross championships back around 1992. After cross racing I used it as a campus/commuter bike and even once used it to deliver pizzas (school job) one day when my car was broken down. I also once "convered" it into a track bike for a day of velodrome racing. With no braze-ons it really didnt look very out of place on the track except for the derailler hanger. I really like the chrome lugs it has a very relaxed, forgiving ride compared to my road race bikes and had proven to be a very durable frame.

I actually once traded it away to a friend that used it for several years then gave it back to me when he moved out of the country. I probably went for close to a 10 year strech without riding it but never could see to get rid of it. I decided to again try a few cyclocross races last year so started cleaning and fixing it up again. The old campy record rear derailler really didnt work very well for cyclocross, tree-roots and bumps tended to jam up the chain in the jockey wheels and I was afraid I might damage the campy derailler so replaced it with a vintage shimano 600 (pre-SIS). The original universal 61 centerpull brakes work amazingly well. THey dont stop as suddenly as more modern brakes but they modulate very well and provide sufficient breaking force.
I only recently though to reseach my Atala on the net, and was very suprized to finaly find its vintage. THe serial # is 72A1986. I guess I was thinking all along it was probably an 1986 model year, but after reseaching, realized it is actually a 1972. I was previously thinking about brazing on some cantelever brake post to make it a more dedicated cyclocross bike, now I appreciate its age more and realize it is probably a sin to consider making such irreversable frame changes. I still have majority of the original parts saved that came to me with it if I ever decide to restore to original condition would only need to source a few relativly common campy components. In the meantime, I am just glad to have it as a nice riding old bike that is still viably functinal and get more enjoyment in actually riding it than if I restored it and kept it hanging on the wall.

My Atala originally had a nice metal headtube badge that I long ago broke-off and lost. If anyone has any leads on obtaining a replacement badge, let me know, It would be a good start toward restoration! Any idea where replacement atala decals can be found?

Guzziee - I would really like to see the photos of your Atala from your original thread post if they are still available anywhere!

-Jason Gray

Last edited by GrayJay; 09-11-09 at 12:25 AM.