Old 09-15-09, 04:27 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
glad you're ok. First night time crash was when I was 11 riding home in the alley and hit a brick that sent me over the bars. When I was 28 a friend and I owned a small bike shop in a small tourist town. He had another job and was riding back to the shop around 11pm. Somewhere in five blocks distance he landed on the back of his head and cracked his skull. I found him at the shop at 12am. going into shock. Took him to the ER as ICP was happening. Next day he was flown out and in a coma for two weeks. He recovered with loss of smell and personality change in the first 6mo then fully recovered a year later. Uninsured and without assets the state paid for his $100,000 bill. It took awhile to convince the bill paying dept that he really didn't have more than $3500 in personal assets and that he shop was my expense. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

Two years ago I was riding through a small town at night wearing dark clothes and a BRIGHT 3watt headlamp. A teenager dashed across the road without looking and I hit him flipped landing on my head/butt requiring stitches in head and $2500 in hospital care, catscan. I wasn't wearing a helmet.

It's perfectly alright to take risks and zoom around. But if you do it at night and can't see the road you're just another accident waiting to happen. Head injuries suck, big time. You can do a lot of things with broken bones, you can't do a lot of things with a broken brain. I wear a helmet again.

Last edited by LeeG; 09-15-09 at 04:53 AM.