View Single Post
Old 09-15-09, 10:51 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My first century was two years ago. A friend & I were going to ride our own unsupported century for the solstice, but he had life complications. So, . . .

As the amount of daylight started to dwindle, I decided that I'd ride the route on Saturday, Sep-29. The spouse was on a bus heading to West Jefferson, NC for her first "touring" experience on Cycle North Carolina, so I had the day to myself, and the next day to recover if needed.

My longest ride prior had been 78+ miles the Saturday before when I had ridden the first ~ 35 miles and the last ~ 34 miles of the century course to test to see if my "abrasion" issues had subsided. Excellent 78 mile ride, solo after ther first ~ 24 miles. 15.6 avg pace while riding.

So, the spouse catches her ride to the bus, and I go to the "start" location. Again, the possible "come-with" guys had life issues, and even the guys I was expecting to ride with me for the first 35 or so miles failed to show. I got on the bike and started at about 7:05 a.m.. A tad chilly on the feet.

The sun started to make its warmth felt at about 8:20, and about 15 minutes after that, the breeze started. I modified my intended course slightly to stay on tree-lined roads for a bit longer, and then cut over to the intended course.

Stopped around mile 33 to purchase and drink a pint of chocolate milk. Then set off more-or-less due north for the Virginia border. By now, a little after 9, the breeze had started its boxing of the north compass points (it would go from WNW to NW to N to NE to ENE to almost E during the course of my ride) and was no longer a breeze, but was up to being a light wind with some light gusts. It took me 72 minutes to cover the last 14.5 miles to the NC/VA line, which knocked my avg pace for the first 47 miles down to 14.5 mph (if memory serves).

Upon reaching the state line, I laid my bike down on the grass at the top of the ditch on a mostly east-west road, and sat down next to the bike so the sun could warm and loosen my lower back. Seven minutes later, after having eaten a banana and consumed some of my gatoraide, and my back feeling better, I got back on the bike.

Rode the ~ 5 miles of Virginia (if I'm going to the state line, then by gaw, I'm going to ride some on the other side), and that brought me back headed SSE (with a now quartering NE or ENE breeze/wind). After about 12 miles of the SSE with what felt like BIG rollers, I reached the carefully planned part of the course. Carefully planned to go between two sets of hilly roads (one name Mountain Rd) and stay on the flattest options available.

Around 70 to 80 miles into the ride was some of the BEST riding I have ever experienced. Miles clicking off effortlessly with a gently swaying bike and a slight (mostly) tailwind.

The last 4.7 miles included three valley crossings, each with a steep section to get back up from the creek to the plain. Sucked two or three tenths of a mile off my avg pace for the whole ride.

Anyway, finished 109 miles at 3:01 pm with 7 hrs, 1 minute of ride time, for a total avg pace of 15.5 mph. Tired, but excellent ride.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Near the end of August last year, I lead 5 others on the same course (except we didn't keep to the tree-lined roads mentioned above), so we ended up with 108.2 miles. The riding speed was a bit faster, but the elapsed clock time was half-an-hour more. Too much "male-bonding" story telling at the main lunch stop.