View Single Post
Old 09-15-09, 03:11 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Metric centuries are training rides for me. Get near that distance most weekends with just a couple of 20 milers in the week.

But it does depend on your level of fitness. I have a friend that I took on a metric a couple of years ago. His first organised ride and his longest. Took 5 hours and we both enjoyed it- but he knew he had done a ride.

But going for the 100 miler---is all in the mind set. The distance I like is the metric. 4 hours or there abouts and it is just a good ride. To do that extra 38 miles- takes a bit longer. Best time for me for the 100 miler is 7 hours.

Unless the 100 miler is offroad. I don't do it now but the South Downs Way in one day. 100 miles with 10,000ft of climbing. Mind set does not come into that one but physical condition does. I class myself as fit but I start training in February for the ride in June. Start gently with just adding Gym sessions to my normal rides. Then increase the distance off road and increase the speed. When I can do 3,000ft of climbing and 30 miles in 2 1/2 hours- then I am ready for the SDW. Never bother doing anywhere the 100 miles in training but might do a couple of offroad metrics just to get the saddle time in.

For me- doing a 100 miler is a bit of a challenge. On the road and I can do one tomorrow but I will know I have done it. But for offroad ones- I want 4 months notice.

Spike Milligan