Old 09-16-09, 08:27 AM
Saddle Up
I Love My Dream

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gepilling
So, if I understand this right, you're saying that people shouldn't tell others how much to spend on a bike or what kind of bike to get? That makes sense to me... If someone wants to spend a lot and they can afford it, let them. If someone doesn't want to spend a lot, that's fine, too. A person is ultimately going to spend however much they want to spend in order to make himself or herself happy.

What I'm saying is that if someone wants to spend x amount of money on this don't tell them to spend x amount of money on that instead. Spending x amount of money on a hybrid is a legitimate thing to do.

However, contrary to what you said, I do think a newbie might appreciate other peoples' ("experts" or not) opinions because it could present other possible options for them to consider. I know I wouldn't have bought the bike I did if someone didn't say "hey, why don't you try this kind of bike instead." I tried it loved it and I am very happy with what I ended up buying. But yes, any other options and suggestions should be presented in a positive manner, not like "don't buy that because..." "Why not try this, too" is much better and perfectly appropriate, I think.

Absolutely! That's why a real expert will determine where the rider will spend the majority of their time riding before suggesting a bike. You can try different types of bikes at a bike shop not on the internet.

I also think if a newbie has done a little research and is actively looking for a bike, they will have enough sense to take other peoples' opinions with a grain of salt. They should know that an opinion is just an opinion, and that there is nobody who can say how much a bike is really worth to a person except for that person.

Really are you sure? Newbies come here thinking that the other person typing on their keyboard is an expert. Fact is sometimes it's a guy that owns a bike nothing more.

On a side note, is it too hard to type out Specialized? "Splesh" just sounds bad, imo.
Note taken.

Originally Posted by mikeshoup
So someone comes on to the forums and asks, "What hybrid should I buy for $1000-1500?"

And it sounds like he wants opinions.

What if its my opinion that in that price range and for their needs, a hybrid is not what they want? Am I not allowed to share that opinion? Am I also not allowed to share an opinion about what type of frame they should get?
Absolutely you are but on more than one occasion here the very first response to that very same question was "you should be looking at a road bike", this is one of my beefs.

Originally Posted by WCoastPeddler
But the question is "what hybrid should I buy?" Why offer other suggestions when the question clearly states that a specific bike is desired? If someone asks me about which hybrid is best for them, I'm not going to suggest that they get a unicycle. In some cases, the unicycle just might be the perfect fit, but I'm assuming that since they asked which hybrid they should buy, that they truly want a hybrid.

Personally, even if well-intended, I find it frustrating when people answer my questions with answers that I haven't asked for.
Thank you. This.

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Saddle up - nice writing style ... have you thought about contributing to a Bike magazine?
Thanks. Really?

Originally Posted by MorganRaider
I have been to a couple of LBS's on separate occasions asking different employees the same question and each time I got different answers. I walked out of those stores.

I bought from an LBS that has employees who have a real passion for cycling and as such, they tend to know what they are talking about.
These stores do exist.