View Single Post
Old 09-16-09, 03:12 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickJIV
No where did I read about using a half bottle of this or any other stuff to put on a chain. I used maybe ¼ oz, if that, applying yesterday. Please stop putting words into something that isn't there! And in your first post you stated there wasn't any difference, app was the same, blah, blah, blah. Guess we read a different web page. WL does NOT clean AND lube the chain. You have to have the chain clean, clean, and then clean some more before applying. R&R does both steps at once. And after thinking my chain was fairly clean using WL, after seeing the HUNKS of grime/grease fall out of it, that's when I kicked it to the curb.

If you're satisfied w/WL, that's fine, to each his own I guess. R&R Gold for me!
First I was defending you against others who said that you had to use 1/2 a bottle for each application. You don't.

As for the Rock and Roll stuff being pretty much the same as WL, here's what WL has to say about self-cleaning

In 1994 Paul Maples, a retired research chemist was determined to find a way to end the messy inconvenience and performance inefficiencies caused by the dirt, grease and grime build up on his chain. He set out to develop the first and only chain lube that would 'self-clean'. Clean Ride™ is that product; the original White Lightning chain lube. Clean Ride has become world renown because it actually repels and sheds dirt and grime from your chain and parts while you ride. It was, and is, so unique it has been awarded four patents.

Clean Ride sets up as a dry wax film. There is no oily film to attract abrasive contaminants, so your chain and gears will perform better and last 2 to 3 times longer. Clean Ride's self-cleaning action is activated by any dirt, grit or grime that finds it's way onto your chain or parts. Small particles of the outer wax structure will flake off, taking the dirt, grime or grit with it. This begins the cycle of 'self-cleaning'. Clean Ride is a unique, wax-based lubricant, so it is important to start with a clean chain. For optimum 'self-cleaning' performance, do not mix Clean Ride with oil based lubricants. The dirtier the ride, the more active the shedding action. So to this extent, Clean Ride will require more frequent re-application after dirtier rides. When Clean Ride is used regularly and properly, you'll rarely have to clean your chain again. So, while your buddies are cleaning their chains, you'll be applying a fresh shot of Clean Ride and heading out for yet another great ride!
Application is the same. Flood the chain, let it evaporate, wipe off the excess if you like. And I'll bet that you get better results with your lube if you clean the factory gum off first.

I don't really care about which lube you use. I do care, however, when people make **** up about how and why something works when they are obviously blowing smoke out their butts. Rock and Roll's claim about 'static build up' is just so much smoke. Dirt, sand, grit and other gunk gets on the chain because oil based lubes trap it there. Take away the sticky oil and dirt has nothing to stick to. No more exotic explanation is needed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!