patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
I thought you cracked a Ti frame, think it was a Merlin..? Am I confused?
That was my 1991 Merlin, yes it cracked in two places with about 30K miles on it. The Ibis is really a much higher quality frame, better tubing (3/2.5 butted tubing, higher quality build).

Ti performance won't degrade, as long as it doesn't break. Once it breaks you fix it or leave it out with the trash. I did the latter with the Merlin. The vast majority of Ti frames don't break, but in all fairness, VERY few actually get ridden 30-50K + miles like the bicycles I have owned. My guess is that 95+% of Ti frames will not break even if ridden hard 50-100K miles and will retain all their favorable performance characteristics.

I have a bunch of bicycles now, so my Ibis Ti Road only gets ridden 3000 miles annually (approx). I use it as my foul weather bike, so it sees a fair amount of rain, muck, road salt, etc. But I think with the reduced usage it may last me another 13+ years. As long as it works I'll keep it on the road. Love how the bike feels, and it's relatively light (built up bike is only 17 lbs and change).

Last edited by patentcad; 09-16-09 at 04:17 PM.