Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Palomar01
I just got back to road biking about 3 months ago. Sorry to say, I'm still a Clyde but I do occupy the middle ground as far as speed. Not slow, but not fast either. I only ride for fitness and fun and my current workout is 5 times a week of cycling. In the past 2 months I have done on average about 250-275 miles/month. Unfortunately, my pesky desk job is beginning to get in the way of cycling time during the week. With the change of season arriving in sunny, Southern California, the sun no longer stays out too long after 5PM. So by the time I get home and ready to ride, it's getting dark.

So, I have been weighing my fitness routine options. I was considering running after work, riding the stationary Recumbent bike we have at home, or cycle in the dark. I'm also considering buying a turbo trainer, although this last option is expensive and I would rather not spend that kind of money. Cycling in the dark freaks me out so I'm dreading the time when the bright light of the sun disappears for winter.

My questions ares, is running a good supplement to cycling?
Will a stationary Recumbent fitness bicycle weaken me as a road cyclist?
Is it wise to ride for fitness in the dark?
I have been riding for years in Orange County after dark. I have good lights and ride the loop that starts at Culver and Portolo in Irvine. It is a 2.5 mile loop with 1.25 miles of climb, .5 mile of drop and .75 miles of flat. It is very safe since the majority of the loop doesn't have any cars on it. The flat section on Portolo, which has a very wide bike lane, has cars on the left side. There is only one stop light and every turn is a right turn.

However, I have also started using the trainer just so I can get in a ride when my work schedule doesn't allow me to take the bike out on the road.

As for running, I will only run if someone is chasing me.