Old 09-17-09, 11:25 AM
jcvbva

Bikes: Electra Townie 3, Raleigh Venture 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another broken spoke story

I've got a Townie I've been riding on and off for a couple of years. I've been using it a lot more lately and recently I heard the snap of a spoke on the rear wheel when going over a bump. I got off and looked and actually saw five broken spokes. I don't know how long the others had been broken.

The LBS where took it to be fixed said the selling LBS (out of business) should have contacted me about a recall on the spokes. Well I did a little research but couldn't find anything about that. I had them replace the five spokes for $50.

I took the bike on a couple of short rides and it felt fine. Then on a dirt/gravel trail and snapped two more spokes right away. I carefully completed the ride but took the bike back for another fix for another $20. They advised me that I had probably put more miles on the bike than it was designed for and I had pretty much worn out the wheels.

Is this possible? Do the spokes fatigue and wear out? I'm keeping the bike off of the trails and only on paved paths now but I don't like feeling like I have to be super careful every time I ride it.