Old 09-18-09, 09:01 PM
oldmachinist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote to get used to the bike first

Originally Posted by jeffh129
You're gonna get about a dozen different opinions on this. I'll let everyone else tell you their favorites. Actually pedals with the protruding "spikes" work well too. I use Crank Brothers 50/50.

I would urge you to not go clipless for a few weeks. Get familiar with your bent first. After you're a bit used to riding it, then swap over to clipless. Of course if you used the "spiked" ones you could change over tomorrow.
I rode my recumbent for 5 months and over 2,000 miles before I decided what clipless pedals and shoes to get. I was very good with the bike before clipping in. I now use Shimano PD-A530 Clipless pedals, shimano spd cleats, and Shimano sandals. The combination works great for me. I like open toed sandals. I tried the Keen sandals but did not like the closed toe.

Because I got very used to the bike first, I have not experienced the Artie Johnson that some say happens when you first bolt your feet to the pedals. I loosened the adjustment on my pedals from the factory setting and have not had any unplanned releases. My pedals are dual purpose, with SPD on one side and platform on the other. Sometimes I am more comfortable starting on the platform side.