View Single Post
Old 07-27-02, 07:19 PM
Andy Dreisch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, no, I don't belong to or fund any of these groups. As Chris L stated, I think they're off track in their energy and investments.

Don't get me wrong: I applaud their intentions, at least with some such groups, but disagree with their practices.

On one side we have the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition sponsoring the unruly and counterproductive Critical Mass fiascoes. What idiot thought of the idea to provoke drivers to madness by blocking whole sections of a large city? That set us back -- big time. I was truly embarrassed to be a bike-commuter during the time these illegal activities occurred.

On the other hand we have well-meaning organizations sponsoring bike paths and the like -- most of which are meaningless to serious riders (who prefer streets).

Yes, it is true I may be the beneficiary of some of their actions. For instance, to whatever extent they're instrumental in defining bike lanes and such in San Jose, I'm appreciative. But I honestly think they'd be created anyway because San Jose has such a large population of, well, immigrants who have no drivers license.