Old 09-20-09, 10:02 PM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First, thank you all for the most excellent replies! Many ideas I have not thought of! Many links I was unaware of! Most all believe this CAN be done, that it is simply a question of effort on my part, and getting a bike that can handle my weight.

Therein lies the rub. With all the medical issues I've had recently, the bank accounts have sadly diminished to the point that needed or not, justified or not, the funds are simply not there to put out 3-5K on a quality bicycle.

Plus of course, is the real fear (good intentions or not) that even if I can get back on a bike, *will* I not only get back on a bike, but *stay* back on a bike? Looking back in time some 30yrs ago, and how hooked on cycling I was at the time prior to trashing my knee, I can only pray that this could/would be a silver bullet for me that would solve many issues for me! General health, weight, heart health, smoking, stamina - it wouldn't happen over-night, but it all would happen basically by itself simply by staying on the bike.

Based on the reading I'ved done this weekend, as a starter - either getting lucky on "Craig's list", or, buying a bike from http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s.../cruisers.html for about $540.00 would give me a reasonable entry level bike that should hold up to my size - thoughts? Get the 3-SPEED, upgraded crank, etc...

The big *IF here, is AFTER the knee replacement surgery, because as of right now, walking itself is simply too much some days...

I guess I was was thinking/hoping a $160 buck 'Schwinn' from a big box store if used carefully might live long enough to be used to determine if I could really do this or not, and if I could, WOULD I really do this... But it soulds like it would destroy itself way too quickly??

To clarify for a few - I have not ridden at all in about 30 odd years, due to my knee issues and surgeries. Now everyone is finally talking replacement, and part of the PT during replacement is stationary bike riding - and no - both the heart and knee DRs would love me doing cycling or swimming, or walking, or anything for exercise! As pointed out above, it would be very small baby steps - 100 yard rides to start, working my way to the 100M rides (meters)... /sigh - am not saying it would happen over night,But it would be nice to actually habve a carrot I *want* out there in front of me for a change...