View Single Post
Old 09-24-09, 11:37 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I agree with everything above and do not want to contradict any of it. I would like to add one thing just to give the OP some sort of frame of reference, though, beyond "well, it depends" (which, of course it does).

I've generally considered drops in the realm of 4- or 5'-to-flat about the outer limits of what you might want to routinely punish yourself with on a stout hardtail. There are tons of skilled riders out there that can finesse more, for sure, but it seems to me to be a good starting point. And that's with some speed behind it.

Jumps are a sky's-the-limit thing with a hardtail - - totally dependent on the rider's skill, the type and shape of the jump, the size and slope of the transition and on and on. I happen to like jumping with full suspension because I'm not that gifted or smooth, so it gives me some forgiveness if I case the landing or otherwise blow a jump. But a hardtail rider can probably jump anything there is to jump.