Thread: screw you UO-8
View Single Post
Old 09-26-09, 05:53 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by CravenMoarhead
They really did a slipshod job of finishing these lower end Peugeots. The Paint is absolute crap. There's overspray onto the chrome lugs on the fork crown (original overspray!) and I think they had Maaco shoot the paint Meguiars scratchX removes as much paint as it does blemishes on this thing. And then there's the plastic Simplex drivetrain. Lovely.

I can't wait to see how this rides.
You sound like you actually expected this to be a Rene Singer for the price of a loaf of Wonder Bread. How could you have had that misapprehension? Besides, it's a 40 year old bike.

Long-time CR members will know (and I'm sure I've seen this comment here over the years) that in the post-war years racing bikes were often seen as tools for racing, rather than as artistic statements of worth and craftsmanship. The UO-8 and its siblings were mass market products, from a very high-volume factory that did not do state of the art craftsman-grade finishing on it's top products, the PX series.