patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I have proposed a menthod, but others feel it is too restrictive. License cyclists just like motorists. If vehicular cyclists have all the same rights to the roads, then why not the training requirements? Of course, some will say that cyclists are not likely to cause harm with their 40 pound bikes like motorists can cause with their thousands of pound autos.
A cylcist driving unsafely can easily caused a multi-car accident.

I don't know if I see any need for a road test for cycling, but a simple written test - perhaps the same one use to get a driver's learning permit - would be a good idea.

A good option to consider would be requiring the permit only for cycling on major roads, with none required for minor roads. This exempts people new to cycling, just trying out a bike, or who cycle only on pathways. The obvious problem would be a clear definition of "major road" that would not cause confusion or ambiguity.

In Ontario a bike is the only vehicle (as defined by the Ontario Highway Traffic Act) which is not licensed and does not require a driver's license. I find it frightening that, in theory, someone could ride a bike down a 6-lane highway and not even know how to signal turns.