Old 09-28-09, 02:23 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boston blackie
I want to convert my Mezzo I-4 to a sram dual drive 27 speed and have some questions:

1. what wheel should I buy and where to the proper 16 inch wheel in the USA?
2. What about spokes? Where do I get them, and what type/size do I need.
3. Will I need to buy a new chain, or will the current chain fit OK?
4. What modifications, if any, will I have to make to the frame to accommodate fold.
5. What gear inch span will I get (low gear, high gear)
6. What did I forget to ask?

I know bhkyte has made this mod and am hoping he can help me out here.
HI

1. 349 rim. spoke number needs to mate with the rim you buy .ie. 36 spoke. I have used a Brompton rim on one ,and a "Sun" on the other conversion. I am based in UK so can not help about USA distribution. Brompton = Alesa 16 x 1 3/8 / 349 Rim - QRIM

2. You need to get a LBS to cut down some spokes.

3. You will probably need a new longer chain, I have only ever delt with D9’s

4. As far as i know there are no modifications needed to the frame as all versions are a 135mm rear axle. I am pretty certain drailer hangers thread are still located on the D4 ,but check. Else its not a big job.

5. You can also upgrade to a 56 front gog. With the standard 54 on 11= 107.3 low gear= 23- 28 according to tooth size(21t/28t) with a 56= 111.3 from Sheldron browns site.

6. You need to route the exrta cable next to the draylier cable. Due to having to locate a IHG and a drailer I have had to remove the clip that lock the forks to the rear frame when folding. I place the QR between the rear triangle stays, and then the bars press them in to place also, which is fine, but not as securely locked together. I am still thinking about this bit! See picture before the bars are folded on to the wheel.

My conclusion on the conversion. The 27 speed converted bike I have with bull bars and brifters is fabulous. The close ratio gearsing (11-23) works great on a fast road bike giving instanst fine changes to optimise cadence or gross shifts that are far superior to a front drailyer. So much so that I often overtake good cyclist just because of this shifting ability at junctions and roundabouts. This makes a big difference around town. Petty about the security of self locking fold, but I can live with it fine. (Picture) Conclusion dual drive is perfect on this fast road going folder.

The other dual drive mezzo I have is a standard handbar with 24 speed gripshifts. This is an improvement over the original bike as the gearing is better and there is a similar advantage in the shifting. However if I found a cheap 8 speed nexus hub I would try that if I converted another simular bike to this. Therefore the choice may come down to price for each hub and the cost of a drailer in your case. Once I worked out the problems in fitting the dualdrive on the first bike I was able to do the second Mezzo in about 2 hours. Any further question feel free to email me. Sorry I have no current/new pictures as by camera is broken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mezzzo folded1 (3).jpg (105.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0478.jpg (100.0 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by bhkyte; 09-28-09 at 02:45 PM.