Old 09-28-09, 06:37 PM
doorunrun

Bikes: Giant Rincon '08, Nashbar CX Homebrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the comments so far. I think a key point to all of this is to act predictably. I feel comfortable easing up in the right hand side of LTO lane when the light ahead is red to to both the through and turning traffic. I'm still new at all this and yes negotiating a bike out into traffic can be a thing of beauty. I'm quite comfortable about pulling out in front of traffic closing in behind you. I still need plenty of space before I'll move into the lane.

I can only imagine how a little Piper Cub pilot feels flying into National Airport or Dulles. Those of you commuting into downtown Mega-Metrolopolis really have your hands full. I'm in a small college town most car/drivers put up with a lot of stupid, sorry, unaware, bicyclists. Yes, there are a lot of stupid, uh, unaware drivers as well. Right now, the toughest time is getting around campus between classes. The bikes, pedestrians, busses, cars.........oh, the humanity!

The nice thing about sticking to the same route is knowing what to expect and working out better ways to get through it. We always learn from our mistakes and hopefully get to walk away from them.