View Single Post
Old 09-30-09, 07:36 AM
lineinthewater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ngchen
In all honesty, it was probably a case of being careless rather than malice.
Agree 100%. Never meant to imply it was intentional. He was likely distracted - instinctively passed me (giving me space) and then totally forgot I was there. I'm guessing if he realized what he had done, he would have been embarrassed and stunned. But that still deserves the middle-finger (which I withheld) - it is my only silent horn.

It's not at all uncommon for non-cyclists to not realize how fast a cyclist can go. Part of riding defensively is anticipating certain mistakes by others and being able to react to them to avoid a crash.
That is definitely part of the problem. Most motorists don't understand that road bikes go so fast - and they totally misjudge relative speeds. Also, IMO, most motorists just see bikers as objects in the street, not people. The other day, I was riding along in a large bike lane, and this SUV is pulling out of a parking lot on the other side of the road - crossing the street to merge into the same direction as myself. She is basically aiming right at me as I ride by and she turns to come up side of me (matching my speed). She probably had 10 seconds of seeing me approach while waiting, crossing the street, and coming up side of me. Then she decides to take a right turn at the next street (with me riding RIGHT next to her at the same speed). She basically pushed me off the road. Ridiculous.

Now, if it would make you feel better, you might want to send a FRIENDLY note to the sheriff's office informing them that even after passing a cyclist, one should be especially careful if turning right b/c of the potential for a right hook.
I thought about that. I think it will fall on deaf ears.

Last edited by lineinthewater; 09-30-09 at 07:44 AM.