Thread: Insurance????
View Single Post
Old 10-02-09, 06:05 AM
Nigeyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To me the bottom line is that regardless of the health care system of the country that you visit, common decency should dictate that you make some kind of arrangement that covers health care (unless your country or province has some kind of effective reciprocal agreement). It should not be up to the country you visit to provide you free health care, nor should you effectively stiff them on the bill. Someone has to pay -somewhere.

I know that most of us cycling folk are in reasonably good health, but emergencies and accidents do arise for anybody of any age at any fitness level (e.g. a car hitting you will not discriminate based on those factors). To not be able to handle medical issues without placing an expensive burden on others isn't acceptable IMHO. And if you can't afford some kind of reasonable coverage, I think serious thought should be given to whether you can afford to go in the first place.

I might also be wrong, but my understanding of the US is that in any emergency you will (or should) be treated by any hospital -though you will be at least attempted to be billed afterward (unless you are indigent or provide false details, etc). Of course you can skip town, but then someone other than you has to pay the health providers. Who? However, if the health provider then believes you are not in a position to pay (e.g. do not have insurance or adequate insurance) as soon as you are stabilized, you'll most likely be out. If you have any serious disease (e.g. cancer) and are not very wealthy, subject to a charity, or do not have reasonable health care insurance -generally don't expect any treatment unless you're in the terminal stages and collapse. Again, they'll take you in, but as soon as you are stable (or pass away), you're going to be out. Health care is a business based model -not a human service -in the USA. Obviously pros and cons to this approach.

Originally Posted by xyzzy834
BengeBoy is entitled to his opinion of the US, but it is not a universally held one. Moreover, his attempt to turn a simple question into an incendiary political debate is unnecessary in a civil and helpful bike touring forum such as this.

When traveling in the US, you would be wise to have some type of health insurance. If you need emergency treatment in the US, you will be treated at any hospital emergency room without regard to your ability to pay. It is true you may be billed for the service, but you will receive any emergency treatment you need on the spot.

The situation in the US with regard to health insurance is no different than auto insurance if I were driving a car in Canada. I would be expected to provide my own insurance.