Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
1) I would expect to hear from at least a few problems because I guarantee my wheels to stay in true for at least a full year, no matter the mileage, and true and tension them for free if they don't. .
How many have you had to true/retension within that one year?

(the heavier riders, mostly) thank my every time they see me for building a pair of wheels that they finally don't have to get trued every month or break a spoke every season. Like you said though, it's not hard to build a good pair of wheels..
OK, now don't go change your previous answer!...Heavy riders? Their needs are different than lighter riders. Even on a good build, the shop pros SWORE up and down that the wheels would not go out of true. But I found as a heavier rider, in my case, after an initial breakin period, maybe 200 miles, the spokes needed to be retensioned. Loctite, spoke prep, magic fairy dust, didn't matter, the wheel neded to be trued and retensioned after that period. Lighter guys, I dunno, I have no experience riding at 125 lbs

If the wheel was not retensioned, the spokes BREAK! After I realized this, I started retensioning and have not had a problem since. That's why I tell all the clydes (forum) to have the wheel retensioned after the initail period. Plus I do it on all our wheels now, 5 that I've built and 16 currently in use on our 8 bikes.....So depending on your first honest answer, have you NEVER had to retension a wheel for a big heavy powerful track sprinter?......IF not, that is totally amazing as I'm a heavy rider but not as powerful since I'm just a recreational rider dude! But this seems to be the difference in a wheel lasting 2,000 or 20,000 miles.

It's just that shops are worried about labor time instead of being thorough, and other builders are lazy and just true the wheel without regard to the tension.
True! I'd have to say that half the reason I build my own is relying on some dude that shows up to work on my wheel when he feels like it. I've taken my business to local builders after high regards from other riders. Dropped off the wheel and parts, then told to come back in one week, pick up after 5 pm. I show up and the dude is strolling in, "oh yeah, I forgot about it, I'll build it right now" WTF!...Must I continue to say the *** fell apart!..Dude is an excellent builder, everybody knows it but it's a gamble dealing with him

--------------------------------------------
Sounds like Psimet has his act together with his bidniss! It was just a little debate about the trailing spokes. Good points both sides IMO!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 10-02-09 at 01:59 PM.