Old 10-03-09, 11:08 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked 1,380 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
People have to start paying attention, and be held accountable when they are not.
I don't disagree with this.

A pool is not a good comparison. Somebody drowning in a pool would most likely be due to their own actions, or nature. Someone using a "lethal tool" can injure or kill another if not paying proper attention.
A pillow then. Since nearly anything can be a "lethal weapon", calling "everything" a weapon means that "weapon" has no meaning!

If I fire a rifle into the air on New Year's Eve, what are the actual odds of that bullet coming down and injuring or killing someone? What are the odds of injuring or killing someone if I'm not paying strict attention to my driving? Which one is not only illegal, but people are held accountable for in criminal court?
The difference is that firing a rifle in such a manner is clearly negligent. What is "strict" attention? Do you pay "strict" attention in everything you do all the time? Are you sure that you'd never make a mistake?

=============================

These statements "Motor vehicle crashes and injuries are predictable, preventable events." and "predictable results of the laws of physics" assume that things are much simplier than they are really.

It's unlikely that absolutely all of them can be "prevented". Airplanes still crash for all sorts of complicated reasons that are hard to predict. People also do make mistakes.

Are all mistakes negligent?

http://www.howwedrive.com/
Tom Vanderbilt says similar stuff regarding the term "accident".

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-03-09 at 11:25 AM.