Old 10-04-09, 11:27 AM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
Here are the catalog scans Batavus sent me in response to my inquiry about a Competition model. The company changed hands in '86, so they don't have very many records, but it appears they've archived some catalogs. It may have been luck that I contacted such a friendly rep, but it may be worth it to contact them for more scans.
Also interesting. Thank you

I would think the post-its telling year are not correct. I would guess the 1st is maybe 1981, the 2nd 1982 (or possible 83) and the 3rd 1983 or 1985. Maybe the later catalogue is the same catalogue as Javal has?

It looks like I have a decent representation of Professionals through the years now. I have also enough material for comparison from the other large Dutch make: Gazelle. I am aiming at the Champion Mondial than. I would say, after being able to take close looks at both, the Champion Mondials overall/in general show nicer graphics, more interesting detailling and nicer finishing. The Professionals are rarer.

The 3rd largest brand Union had their thoroughbreds made with Gianni Motta. I never had the oppertunity to view one up close.

Material for comparison of the Japanese Miyata factory is also available. That is a totally different bike. Exponent of another culture and another understanding I think. A package of Japenese dedication to detail and of the mill precision vs Dutch pragmatism.