Old 10-05-09, 08:06 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Triple front derailleur suggestions needed

I'm trying to get my '84 Schwinn LeTour better equiped for loaded touring and replaced the 52/39 double crank with a 48-38-28 Shimano mountain crankset. I had to replace the BB spindle with a (yes this is correct) shorter one to get the chain rings closer and within range of the FD. It has a Suntour Mountech FD which I thought would handle it fine but I'm having problems getting it to drop to the granny gear.

I dropped the FD on the seat tube to get a closer clearance on the big ring but it has a long cage and just barely clears the chain stay when it moves in, so I'm as low as I can get. It is only about 3-4mm above the big ring so that should be in the ballpark. It has Suntour Symmetric DT shift levers.

Anyway I'm thinking I will possibly need a shorter cage, tighter arc mountain derailleur to get me the chainstay clearance. Any thoughts on a 1 1/8 clamp bottom pull FD that would work and have a wide throw? This will be somewhat of a utility tourer so I don't want to get anything pricey - just something dependable.

I have a Bridgestone 400 with the stock AR FD and that works fine with a similar ringed crankset so this kind of threw me for a loop. Did the Mountech come in double and triple versions?
Thanks -