View Single Post
Old 10-05-09, 01:22 PM
CHARLATAN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to cycling, my taint hurts

Okay, not sure if you call this saddle sore, as there is in fact no visible sore, but my crotch (taint) is what has prevented me from riding further, not my strength. After riding 5 miles my first time out, and 8 my second time out, I feel like if I was asked to ride today I would cry.

Seriously, it aches pretty bad. Hurt once when I peed last night.

I was just using normal shorts, no bike shorts, etc.
My bike is a road bike (Gary Fisher ARC Pro) and has a very hard seat.

I need help here. I have the will to ride today, but my taint says I ain't.

I know I should probably get the bike 'fit' to me at the dealer to at least make sure my position and all are correct.

Here is what I was told:

1) It's your first 20 miles, it will take time til you aren't sore there if your bike is adjusted correctly to fit.

2) Buy bike shorts with the pad in the crotch (could easily cost $60+ for a good pair)

3) Buy a different seat. (could cost a lot to get a good seat that doesn't leave me sore)

I just friggin paid $1,400 for the bike, I hate to have to put more money into it at this point as I have the fear that I will be the typical person that does it for a month or two then stops altogether.

The seat is rock hard, but looks badass...but I hate it after a few miles.

Am I just being a wuss at this point, or do you guys have some advice to help me out to avoid that level of pain?

I only have about one more month of riding weather before I have to put it away til March or April (though I thought about getting a trainer to use during the winter in my basement), so I would like to get this figured out as easily and cheaply as possible.

Help! My crotch thanks you.