View Single Post
Old 10-05-09, 02:51 PM
CHARLATAN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Square & Compas
You're not being a wuss. Even though I have not ridden a diamond frame bike for over 7 years, I ride a recumbent now, I still remember what it was like to dial everything in perfectly so my crotch didn't hurt. The problem was though my crotch did nto hurt too often the rest of me did regardless of how well I adjusted or changed things.

It will take time to adjust everything and may involve a better saddle. Let's start with are you male or female. I am guessing by the way you describe your discomfort you're a guy. My second question is did you bike shop do a fit kit with you to make sure the bike is best matched to you. Did you just simply take this bike for a spin around the block outside the shop and liked it so you purchased it?

If you would please answer these questions and then I think it will be easier to proceed from there.
I'm a guy.

No fit kit. Didn't even adjust the seat for me. I went home and did it myself.
We did figure out that the 55 is the size for me, 5'9 30" inseam. I adjusted the seat so that my leg was close to straight at the downstroke, but it is a road bike and the seat weighs nothing, so no padding or anything.

My seat is a Bontrager Race, but being a newcomer I don't know what that even means, except that Bontrager seems to be a popular company outfitting these bikes (my wheels, fork, tires and stem are all Bontrager). It is hard as a rock, but I imagine they make those for some reason. They must be comfortable to some.
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/506

Oh yeah, it doesn't help that I am probably 45+ lbs overweight. And due to my body type I have a straight line from my shoulders to my heels, no ass whatsoever.
Went to another shop later in the day and talked at length with a guy that was willing to help me get it dialed in, but he charges for it. $60/ hr.