Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHARLATAN
I'm a guy.

No fit kit. Didn't even adjust the seat for me. I went home and did it myself.
We did figure out that the 55 is the size for me, 5'9 30" inseam. I adjusted the seat so that my leg was close to straight at the downstroke, but it is a road bike and the seat weighs nothing, so no padding or anything.

My seat is a Bontrager Race, but being a newcomer I don't know what that even means, except that Bontrager seems to be a popular company outfitting these bikes (my wheels, fork, tires and stem are all Bontrager). It is hard as a rock, but I imagine they make those for some reason. They must be comfortable to some.
http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/506

Oh yeah, it doesn't help that I am probably 45+ lbs overweight. And due to my body type I have a straight line from my shoulders to my heels, no ass whatsoever.
Went to another shop later in the day and talked at length with a guy that was willing to help me get it dialed in, but he charges for it. $60/ hr.
I recommend dialing it in as suggested in tiny incriments. If that does not work then I'd pay the $60 an hr to have a guy at the shop help you.

Bontrager, while a good saddle, may likely not be the best option for you. They are used as a standard saddle on a lot of mid priced bikes like yours. Not a bad thing as it helps keep the cost of the bike down for consumers. As an example you might find that a saddle like the men's Terry would be a better option. In addition to adjusting the saddle don't forget to adjsut teh saddle height as well. When you move the saddle on teh rails and tip forward or back you'l likely need to adjsut the seat post height. After this you may find you need to adjust the handle bars a little bit too. As advised make tiny little incrimental changes.

Even after you get everything dialed in, saddle changed to a better one, etc. you still might find you still have some pain and discomfort. For this I recommend something like Chamois Butter. There are many varieties available. It helps reduce friction.