View Single Post
Old 10-06-09, 01:21 PM
mmac

Bikes: 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring 52/20 2008 Trek 1.2 Road Bike 1998 Canondale M800 Mountain Bike 1965 Schwinn Spitfire Cruiser 1979 Schwinn Varisty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When to junk old ride, bad swiss bb

I've recently been riding my uncle's 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring to commute 3 miles each way between campus and back as well as a couple ~20-40 rides.

The bike seems to fit me well, I like the fit and the ride a lot. I also feel that the bike has sentimental value b/c while I haven't ridden it very much in comparison to my other bikes, it was passed down to me by a close family member who purchased the bike new.

Unfortunately the bottom bracket is giving me a lot of problems. Both cups have slight pitting, and have had to pull everything apart to repack the bb after what I consider a short distance.

I don't know if I'm being picky because my newer bikes are much "higher end" but I don't want a bike that needs constant maintenance.

The LBS wants to put in a english BB backwards, and they think this will magically fit and/or work properly. This sounds like a horrible idea after checking out Sheldon Brown, who recommends a phil wood BB.

It looks like the phil wood is pretty expensive ($116+47+15= ~$ 200 after shipping)

Already invested are Tektro Cross levers, r556 lr brakes, a seat, and wheels. All things that can easily be moved from one bike to another.

Would this be worth investing, or would I be better off finding another frame to throw things onto. If you were in the same situation would you buy the phil wood, try the ghetto solution, or find a new frame?