View Single Post
Old 10-06-09, 02:02 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Maybe there's a big warehouse in Switzerland full of NOS Swiss threaded BBs, looking for bikes to go on......someone should eventually check it out for us.....;^))
Unfortunately most bikes including my Peugeot PSV, that need Swiss BBs might not be worth enough to invest a $100+ worth of new BBs on. I've been pondering about replacing my Swiss BB with a Phil wood unit since the late 80's and have always been turned off from doing it because of the high price of the thing. It's almost like I'm just waiting for it to eventually seize on me or something to make an excuse to spend that kind of money. The problem is, the supply of Siwss threaded BBs around the world continues to dwindle as we put it off again and again, every year.
Maybe if I try and find Phil Wood's HQ in San Jose and try to buy it direct, I might get a discount??
I finally found my old (for Stronglight cranks) Park crank puller tool and I will be opening the PSV's bottom bracket very soon for an overhaul. I think it will be a good chance to confirm again that the BB is indeed Swiss threaded and it might be my segue to finally get a new/better one on the bike. I've been cringing for years about the cheap looking, original no-brand OEM unit that's on the bike presently, although I have to say that it has served me for many many miles without failure.

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV with......groannn..Swiss BB....

Last edited by Chombi; 10-06-09 at 02:08 PM.