View Single Post
Old 10-06-09, 07:20 PM
nwmtnbkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never thought about it. Both of my parents died young and I had never thought I'd live to be as old as I am. I've lived longer than both of my parents. Like others here, I think the best that most anyone can hope for is to lead a healthy and active life until they die. We've all seen what medicine can do today--keep people around for a long time without decent quality of life, draining a family's financial resources. Whether that can continue in this country, I would suspect not.

I too look for the economic downturn to worsen much more before things improve; I hope I'm wrong but I think we could be in for triple-digit inflation in the US. Heaven help those of us in the US if the dollar is dropped as a reserve currency. Foreign investors will depart and we'll need loans from international organizations like the IMF and World Bank. The bureaucrats in D.C. will be in shock if they just can't print more money to cover their endless deficit spending. I don't see them able to exercise the discipline to reduce spending so I expect to see taxes increase significantly.