patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Serge *******
Patc - thanks for bringing up CAN-BIKE, and I think your "prove you deserve the privilege" idea is brilliant.
I have mentioned CAN-BIKE before. It is also mentioned in all the official Ontario and Ottawa cycling literature (in other words anything local cyclists should read).

There is nothing particularly brilliant or new about merit-based systems, but the idea requires a complete change of mindset from our current milepost-based systems. Some things are currently a combination of both: for example in Ontario you must be 16 (milepost) and pass a series of exams (merit) before you can drive a motor vehicle.

There are two problems with setting up a merit-based system. First is getting around the entitlement mindset of people who see something as a "right" instead of a privilege they must qualify for. The second issue is setting up fair and meaningful criteria for the merit test(s). Not only is it exceedingly difficult to develop testing methods accessible to all, but you must also ensure that each and every criterion is essential to the merit, and not the result of a lobby group (e.g. rabid VCers) pushing a certain point of view.

I strongly believe that merit-based system are the superior choice in most instances, however I also know that the design and implementation of such systems is so open to error that we may be better off with milepost systems in many instances.