Old 10-07-09, 03:01 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RatedZeroHero
all your bills are good and mama is happy... and taxes were paid!!! so you were left with $10,000 <<<

you want to get a 'new dream bike'...

what do you buy and why? Waterford? Seven? Davidson? Rivendell? Italian? French????

(don't even mention carbon, Ti is O.K. so is Reynolds 953)

frame and group set???

*this ought to be fun, and no lottery money here...
I think about that one a lot. I don't have a bike that comes close to fitting properly. I have a 63cm C'dale 3.0 frame that is 66cm at the top of the seat collar. I have to use a 400mm seatpost to make it rideable.

I love the ride of the Cannondale though. Its pure acceleration, telepathic road feel, a veritable rocket bike....

I'd talk with Serotta, Co-Motion, and Zinn about building a custom road bike. I'd want tandem guage tubes and Titanium. I would NOT want a Ti frame designed for comfort. I'd want Ti 'cause you can make the bike so freakin' stiff it would rattle your teeth. I'd immediately drop from consideration any builder that didn't take my desire for frame stiffness seriously. I'd want a BB30 bottom bracket. I'd want a 145mm or 160mm rear dropout spacing. 160mm is better for allowing the buildup of a dishless rear wheel, but it has chainline issues (ride a Santana to see).

I'd spec a Phil Wood 40 spoke rear hub and build it up with 14g stainless spokes anodized black to a black Mavic a719 rim. Obviously black brass nipples. For the front wheel I'd with a 36 Phil Wood hub, same spokes, same rim.

The headtube would be huge. I'd have the bike built with modern compact geometry. It would be a virtual 70~73cm with an actual 68cm seat tube. It would be nice to finally find out what size frame I ride.

I'd have Zinn integrated custom long cranks (205mm or 210mm) with a triple set up. I'd run a Nitto Mustache bar and an 8-speed drivetrain (less finicky, more dependable, stronger, bombproof). I'd have a Rivendell lugged stem.

The frame itself would have cosmetic lugging. I love lugs. I think lugged bikes are beautiful aside from steel being flexy, inefficient, and otherwise a terrible choice for building a bike frame from.

I'd have it painted with a 52cm on the seat tube just to mess with people. Then I'd tell 'em I got a deal on it because it was a manufacturers 'mistake' being a little larger than a 52.

27" wheels (630bcd instead of the 622bcd 700c standard) because I'd need the 8mm on a bike this big to make it look less freaky. Yes I know Mavic doesn't make the a719 in 630bcd, however, I'd find a 'test' run set...(its a dream, okay)

Zinn Alpha-Q z-pro Carbon fork from Zinn with the 450mm steerer. Per Zinn it will hold my weight (375lbs). Don't even ask how I'm going to get my Riv quill stem to work with the threadless carbon steerer 'cause I don't know either.

Phil Wood stainless BB. Wipperman nickel coated 8-speed chain. Selle Italia Prolink Gel Flow (color to match accent color of frame) saddle.

Thomson seatpost. Thomson stem.

Rack eyelets.

Then I'd go find 'Taking Control' and we'd ride (read race) across the country and back starting from his place in OR and both of us at 375lbs. First one to 215 or east coast and back would win.

Yes, please.

Last edited by mtnbke; 10-13-09 at 04:15 AM.