Old 10-07-09, 10:10 PM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other piece of advice. when the anesthesiologist come in to speak with you prior to the surgery the day of ask questions and set an expectation of communication while you're in the OR, before they put you under.

Here is why. I have only been under general anesthesia twice. This most recent and when I was 17 or 18 and still in high school. When I was younger I had same day foot surgery. I went back to the OR, got on the table. No one, and I mean no one talked to me while I was in there. I know they were busy getting ready for my surgery, but I wasn't even told we are putting you under now. I was never told to breath take deep breaths or anything like that, in fact I was never given any O2 before I was put under. Before I knew it I had a funny taste in my mouth and I was out. When I woke up in recovery it was a miserable and frustrating experience. I had an upset stomach, and felt hung over and it was very noisy. I don't mean just the sound of machines and normal voices. I heard and remember shouting and yelling. On top of that I was hot and cold at the same time. It was so unpleasent I tried to get off of the gurney cause all I wanted to do was get the hell away from the stressful situation. The nurses didn't think that was too good of an idea. But I did manage to sit up before they got to me. When they tried to lay me back down I said no, I want to get dressed and get out of here. They let me sit there as they removed the IV. Made me drink warm 7-UP, which I threw up. They made me drink more until I did not throw it up and I never could, I kept throwing up. I told them to bring me something cold. They wouldn't. I made it understood I am getting dressed and going home. They tried to stop me, because I had to prove I could keep something in my stomach. I said I can if it is cold. They finally brought me some cold water, which was fine. I got dressed and got the hell out of there.

The surgery for my sinuses was a whole better with the anesthesia after I explained the horror I went through with the first one. They communicated with me the whole way until I went under. They told me they were starting the drug to put me to sleep, they told me there would be a breathing tube in me after I was out and it would be removed before I woke up and I could expect a sore throat and an achy bloated feeling from it. They had me breath deeply with the O2 mask. When I woke up in recovery all I heard was the normal noise from the machines and normal talking voices, one of which was a very pretty nurse standing over me asking me questions. I actually smiled at her and answered. They took me back to the bay where I started, helped me into the recliner chair. Brought me cold Sprite and ice chips. Felt and tasted great. I did not get sick because of the anti-nausia drug they used when they put me under. I had to use the restroom and thought I'd have to use a wheel chair. They wanted me to walk the short distance and helped me. I guess this helps someone recover from the anesthesia. They did let me use the bathroom by myself though, thankfully. I then got dressed and they wheeled me out and I went home. It was a lot better experience then the first time I had general anesthesia.

So do not be afraid to ask questions and express concerns or any bad experiences you had in the past. The key is communication.

Last edited by Square & Compas; 10-07-09 at 10:13 PM.