Old 10-08-09, 09:39 AM
flammenwurfer

Bikes: 198? Raleigh Technium 480, 1970 Raleigh Sports, Motobecane Nomade Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After you get the fixed cup and the BB interior clean and dry, lay the bike down on its right side, and layer fresh grease pretty thick onto the right side bearing race, inside the BB. You'll place the balls into that grease bed, one at a time. Embed them in the grease with your fingers. You won't be moving the frame from this position until the balls are secured by the BB axle, if all goes well. You'll need to use either one or two extra balls, compared to the number of balls in the caged bearing set.

Next you can either cover the balls with a thin layer of grease, or pack a 1/8" bead of grease on the BB axle bearing surface, and carefully insert the BB axle through the hole in the fixed cup, working from the inside of the BB shell. Once this is all the way in, you should be able to turn the shaft and feel nice smooth ball bearing action.
Ok, sounds easy enough.

Did the right (drive) side bb cup thread in towards the front of the bike (right handed), or towards the rear (left handed)?

If left, its probably english or swiss. If right, its french.
I have no idea. I haven't taken the drive side cup out. I was under the impression that I didn't have to.

Will my local bike shop have the bearings and cotters? Just to make sure, 1/4" is the bearing size I need correct? Also, is that grease I have pictured acceptable to use?

One more question. Is there a way to tighten the lock ring without a lock ring wrench? Or will I have to buy/borrow one?