Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by HaagenDas
... all this talk of cassettes and stuff, it's still mumbo jumbo to me.
When I first herd of talk about cassettes at the bike shop I thought they were talking about my Barry Manilow collection!!

Seriously, if you're a computer geek you shouldn't have any problem servicing your steed and wheels. And yes, I am talking about your bike! After all, this is a family forum. All it takes is a modicum of mechanical ability combined with a few reading skills and you can do 90% of the routine maintenance that goes with.

This winter I've stripped down 3 road bikes to the frame, cleaned and regreased them, repacked every bearing with fresh new grease, and put them back together with all of the ginger and care of a proud father. Two years ago I would never have attempted any of that but I got bit by the bug and that's all it took. The obsessive compulsive disorder took over from there. Besides, it would have cost me a fortune to have had all of that done at the local bike shoppe.

There are still a few things I'm not quite ready to attempt, but fortunately haven't had a need. They are building a wheel from scratch, servicing STI levers, and servicing derailleurs. Perhaps in time I will have a need to do these things but for now they are still fairly new and working well.